Amb. Dr. Edouard Bizimana, a carrier Diplomat, was born on February 10, 1968, in Burundi. He is married and a caring father of four children.
In 1998, he earned a Bachelor’s of Arts degree in Modern English Letters at the University of Yaoundé I in Cameroon and went on to do a Masters at the Institute of Cameroon (IRIC).
He received his doctorate in International Relations from the same institution in 2003. His thesis bears the title: “Armed Conflicts and Environment Protection in the Great Lakes Region.”
During the course of his academic years, Amb. Dr. Bizimana carried out internships at prominent institutions including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Cameroon, the Cameroon Athletic Federation, and the Diplomatic Studies Institute of Cairo in Egypt.
Before embarking on his professional career, he also completed a specialized post-graduate internship in the field of Business Administration and Diplomacy.
Amb. Dr. Bizimana joined the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Burundi in 2004, as an Advisor to the Director-General in charge of cooperation between Burundi and Europe, and North America. In 2006, he was appointed Deputy Chief of Protocol in the Second Vice-Presidency of the Republic, and from 2007 to 2010, he was the First Counselor at the Burundi Embassy in Washington D.C.
In February 2012, Amb. Dr. Bizimana was placed in charge of International and Regional Organizations in the Ministry of External Relations and International Cooperation, and shortly after, was made Permanent Secretary in the Forum of Political Parties (FDP).
He has served as Ambassador of Burundi to Germany with concurrent accreditation to Holy See, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia from 2012 to 2016. From April 2016 up to now, Ambassador Bizimana is representing Burundi to the Russian Federation with concurrent accreditation to Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Belorussia, and Estonia as Ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary.
Amb. Dr. Bizimana has several publications to his name including: Quelle diplomatie pour les pays post-conflits? (What kind of diplomacy for post-conflict countries?) Quelles pistes d’exploitation pour le cas du Burundi? Sweet America (poem) Burundi: Une vie à la sauvette. Savoir porter sa croix. (in collaboration with Véronique Barindogo).
Amb. Dr. Bizimana is fluent in French, Kirundi, and English, and has limited proficiency in Kiswahili. His general interests and hobbies include politics, policy analysis, reading, writing, poetry, soccer, and jogging.
- 2014: IMF SUISS UNIVERSITY: MINI MBA in Business Administration and Diplomacy
- 1998 – 2003: Doctorate in International Relations from the International Relations Institute of Cameroon (IRIC)
- 1998 – 2000: Masters in International Relations (DESS), Institute of International Relations of Cameroon
- 1996 – 1998: Bachelor in Modern English Letters, University of Yaoundé I (Cameroon)
- 1990 – 1993: University of Burundi, Department of Language and English Literature (Burundi)
- 1990: High school Diploma in Languages section, Lycee of Rusengo (Burundi)
- From April 2016 up to now: Ambassador to the Russian Federation
- From June 22, 2012, to April 2016: Ambassador to Germany, Austria, Holy See, Czech Republic, Slovakia, and to the UN organizations in Vienna
- 2/15/2012 – 6/22/2012: Permanent Secretary in the Forum of political parties (FDP)
- 5/10/2012 – February 15th, 2012: Counselor/Advisor to the Director-General in charge of International and Regional Organizations in the Ministry of External Relations and International Cooperation
- June 2006– Sept. 2010: First Counselor at Burundi Embassy in Washington D.C.
- 2005 – 2006: Deputy Chief of protocol in the 2nd Vice–Presidency of the Republic
- 2004 – 2005: Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Advisor to the Director general In charge of cooperation between Burundi and Europe, North America, and NGOs
* Part-time teacher: Université Lumière (Bujumbura), Africa Hope University (Bujumbura), National School of Administration (ENA).
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Cameroon
- Cameroon Athletic Federation
- Diplomatic Studies Institute of Cairo (Egypt)
- Stage de Perfectionnement en cours d’Emploi (CPF)
- Armed conflicts and environment protection in the Great Lakes Region (Doctorate dissertation in International Relations) 2003
- Ugandan and Rwandese military intervention in D.R Congo (Masters in International Relations).
- Quelle diplomatie pour les pays post-conflits? Quelles pistes d’exploitation pour le cas du Burundi (What kind of diplomacy for post-conflitct countries ?), l’Harmattan, Paris, France, 2008
- Sweet America (poem)
- Many articles
- Une vie à la sauvette. Savoir porter sa croix. (in collaboration with Véronique Barindogo). Février 2014. Lille
- Nina la reine au cœur brisé. Ed.Scribe, Bruxelles, 2017
- The Eyes of my Heart/Les yeux de mon cœur (Poem collection), Moscow, 2019
- Au service de la diplomatie burundaise 2004-2020 (Contribution d’un diplomate loyal et libre d’esprit), Ed. Scribe, Bruxelles, 2020 and Moscow 2020.
- Les fragments. Larmes, silence et dignité. Moscou. 2021
- French: understood, spoken (fluently) and written (level IV);
- English: Understood, spoken (fluently) and written (level IV);
- Kirundi: mother tongue (level V)
- Kiswahili: spoken and understood (level III).
Soccer, jogging, writing and reading, poetry, politics, policy analysis, etc.